Thursday, January 31, 2008
I am sitting in the dark in our hotel room. Nothing fancy. Just a Super 8. It's clean and it's a place to sleep. I am in San Antonio. It is expected to get into the 20's overnight. By midday it should be in the warm 50's. Brr! Well, it's warm in here and the kids are sleeping soundly. That's all that matters at the moment.
Today we came out to the Witte Museum. The latest exhibit is Our Body The Universe Within. It is actual human bodies. I'm sure you've at least heard of it. Well, believe it or not the kids wanted to see it. So here we are, in San Antonio. I couldn't take pictures or video. Too bad! If you get the chance, go see it. Parental discretion is advised. These are actual human bodies and are anatomically correct. We did not have a problem with it. Neither did the kids. It really shows how "we are wonderfully made". They had a complete human skin laying encased in glass. It looked like a large piece of dried out leather. The kids liked the Prenatal area. They had babies from 12wks of gestation up to 36wks. They even had clean organs and diseased ones. Very interesting. Especially since I had just had a gallbladder attack a few months ago. We were there for 2hrs, but I'm sure we could've spent more time inspecting.
I hope we get to go again before the exhibit ends in May.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
School today consisted of some reading, language arts and of course he loves to do math.
Jamie worked on Phonics, Critical Thinking and reading.
We'll see what's on for tomorrow!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
We had a field trip to Chuck E Cheese!! We even took Mamo. I didn't get pictures of her playing the games, but she did like shooting the alien from Aliens. Ha ha ha It was yummy and a lot of fun.
Monday, January 21, 2008
- visit with dad (he got home from work around 10am)
- school (for Jamie)
- playtime (for Brandon)
- Brandon went with dad on motorcycle to grocery store
- Jamie helped clear school work bins (probably had papers in there from last year)
- late lunch
- more time with dad (they went to the grocery store and movie store)
All the while we were listening to songs on You Tube. Brandon loves High School Musical so we looked up songs from the movie.
A day in the life for me is as follows:
- wake up and make bed
- get dressed and put some clothes up from the day before
- wake daughter (son is already awake and boiling water for Rahmen Noodles)
- clean sofa entire sofa with Resolve (cleaning up Brandons cheese flavored noodles)
- daughter finally is up and in bathroom
- unstop the overflowing toilet in the main hall (which dumped out what seemed like an inch of water)
- keep son entertained by giving him a lesson in plumbing while I do the work
- throw load of towels into the washer (the ones that got soaked in the great flood)
- clean restroom now that we had a nasty over flow (might as well, I'm already there)
- make breakfast
- get things ready for school (clear off dining table and desks)
- still making breakfast
- turn on computer to put on upbeat music to help ME start the day on a positive
- Oh forgot coffee so I beg hubby (who just walked in the door from having worked nights) to make us some coffee
- serve breakfast, feed animals, grab my plate to sit at the computer to IM my brother at work and look for more music on You Tube
- visit with hubby
- get daughter out of her room again to school
- entertain son
- send son outside with dad
- took a quick ride with hubby on his motorcycle around the block (trying to squeeze in time for him too)
- school daughter
- dear hubby folds laundry that is waiting for me on the sofa
- still IM'ing
- play with my blog
- send hubby and son on errand to grocery store
- still schooling daughter
- checking on laundry/sending son to get clothes out of dryer
- (sigh) is it lunch time? throw corn dogs into oven
- do breakfast dishes
- heat myself up some leftovers so I don't pass out from low blood sugar
- give up on schooling son (sigh)
- sit at computer again
- pick up whatever is on the floor
- try to clear dining table a little
- start dinner (boiling chicken for casserole)
- no more school, but still listening to You Tube
- finish dinner and sit down for the day (on the sofa and ready for a movie)
All this takes place by 5:30pm. Now today my daughter made the statement that I have been at the computer all day. Ugh! Hahahaha!
I still have to wash dinner dishes, but I was waiting for everyone to finish up their showers. Dad took and short nap and joined me for the movie. It was Nanny Diaries. Then he put them both to bed. The little one gets and story and says prayer with daddy. The older one just gets tucked in and prayer with daddy.
Of course this is by no means typical. Anything can and will happen. Wake up time can have an effect on our day as well. This is just what took place today.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
So I chose the song Bad Day by David Powter to add to my playlist. In hopes that singing a sad song will turn it around....
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
It was cold and rainy outside. The perfect weather for a good read. Our next book is called MR. TUCKET by Gary Paulsen. We begin next Tuesday.
Ok, now last week we worked on lapbooks. You take one topic and make a book out of folders then basically display what you learn. It reminded me of a science fair project. Of course, you can use it for any subject. It really helps in many subjects. Writing, research, reading, mathematics, history and art were involved. It helped them retain the information they learned as well. We only had 3 or 4 days to work on it, so they didn't really finish. However the whole experience was different from our normal routine and made it more exciting. It sure helps with burnout!
I am so proud of them. They didn't like it at first. By Thursday, they were ready to put the finishing touches. That would be the nice front covers. Don't they look good?
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Friday, January 11, 2008
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Friday they had the usual work then we went out to eat lunch at Pizza Hut. They enjoyed that. School usually takes 2-3 hrs a day. Calvert sure does make it easy for me.
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
Not good, I know. It shows exactly how I feel today. Blah! It was a typical morning. Jamie has been getting up early and coming to the living area dressed and ready to help with breakfast. Joe was already in the kitchen making menudo. Yum! I have to admit I slept in. I didn't wake up until 8:20. Brandon woke up late today too. He was up at 9:30. Brandon wakes up singing. They love to see their daddy in the morning when he gets home from work. I thought everything was going good. UNTIL....(insert JAWS! theme here) the homeschooling mommy calls for students. Aah! Shriek! Scream! Kids start running for cover. Jamie was fine at first. She finished with her journal entry. Then after Brandon was told 3 times to wash up, he finally stomps off crying about the injustice. Jamie takes a break in between each different subject, so I can set Brandon up with his schooling. Well, when he gets back and learns he has to journal, he begins to cry. Again! He doesn't write in his journal. Brandon's is a drawing journal. His topic was: I get angry when... I thought it would help get rid of some of his frustration. Afterward we went for a walk. It was so cold (brr!) and windy. They all practically ran. ha ha! They were ready for more school work. Most of the problem was that I was trying to print some things out and not paying much attention to them. They just couldn't handle it. They were like that all day except when I would get all tyrant on them. I had my ruler in hand the whole time.
Jamie worked on spelling. She had words with sh, ch, and th. Then she had phonics, hard and soft c, hard and soft g. For reading, she had the Legend of Mulan. She was supposed to have an art lesson, but she isn't feeling well. Poor baby!
Brandon worked on reading comprehension. We discussed a story about the rain forest. He had to paint a mural of it. In history, he read about the Incas in South America and had to paint a picture of a silver and gold house. For phonics he read "Rain Day". He even practiced the spelling of words with the long a sound using ay and ai.
Well, That's it for today's school. I'm sooo glad it's over.